What are my app options if I run iOS?
As a racer, there are two main NRS apps you may be interested in while racing: the odo app with built in official tulips, mileages, and sections, and the check in time calculator with built in official controls and transit and bogey times. If you run iOS... we don't (and won't, sorry) have a version of these that will run for you.
For the check-in time calculator, we do have a web version of this available for you. It's inside your NRS account, look on the menu for "Check In Time Tool".
There's no web-based version of the odo app, and even the concept of such a thing is fraught with problems the rally environment.
Easiest thing? Just buy a cheap used Android phone for $30
We understand that if you're an iOS person, you may have no idea about Android anything. That's ok. :) Here are a few pieces of information to make this easier:
- Buy a Motorola Moto X on eBay. These run around $28-$50.
- Buy a Samsung Galaxy S4 on eBay. These run around $40-$60.
- You don't need to activate the phone to use these apps. Just turn on the wifi and download them.
- You don't need a voice or data plan. You literally "just buy the phone and that's it".
- The odo app has built in online vehicle tracking, if you wanted to use that feature while competing, just turn on the hotspot on your iPhone and let the Android phone use that wifi.
- We generally target app compatibility as far back as Android 4.2 (Jellybean) with a few extra features needing Android 5.0. (Lollipop).
- As of early 2018, supporting back to 4.2 covers approximately 97.6% of active Android devices
- Android OS versions to look for:
- 4.2.x / 4.3 Jellybean
- 4.4 KitKat
- 5.x Lollipop
- 6.x Marshmallow
- 7.x Nougat
- 8.x Oreo (current as of 2018)
- Android 4.2 came out in July 2012, so if the phone was released after that, it should be fine.